This is the blog for the Wormuth One-Name Study, including all the variants; with progress reports and other information.

Thursday, April 18, 2024

Latest News

 I've added a Study Count to the right hand column so you can quickly see how many profiles are currently in the Study.


Since one task of a one-name study is to find all individuals with any of the variants of that surname, I had been doing just that, hunting and finding individuals.  Then, I realized that I hadn't finished with the my own branch of the Wormuth family; so, I shifted gears.  The Study count will increase but probably a little slower because I will be trying to fill in basic data in the profile and sources.  But I should also be adding wives and children.

I'm working to complete our Wormuth family branch, all the individuals, and to bring those family branches forward to find living relatives.

In so doing the following have been discovered:

  • There are a lot of repetitions of given names; lots and lots:  Peter, Joseph, Mary, Stephen and more.  
  • Some of the family trees, relating to our branch, posted online have large mistakes; mostly confusing those repetitious given names.
  • Some branches of the family had a very large number of children.
While working to improve the profiles of those already on WikiTree and adding profiles of additional members of specific family groups, I decided to trace direct male lines from Peter Wormuth, in Sullivan County, forward.  That gives us the direct male DNA for purposes.  Y-chromosomal DNA is passes from father to son only.  I'm not going to post that online for privacy reasons but I do have it so, if anyone reading this, in the Wormuth family, wants it, I can send it to you.  Of course, if you're male and your name is Wormuth, and recognize any of this family line, you're descended from Peter Wormuth of Sullivan County, New York.  Your DNA test will give you the origins of the family.  Please share it with me.


FYI, the Study includes all individuals with any of the variant surnames but also wives because they take the name at marriage.  Females with the surnames, at birth, who marry are, of course, included because their birth surname is Wormuth, but their children will not be included because the Study is of the name, not the relationships.  This is a clarification of the Study.

That's it for now.  Watch the count.

Please leave a comment to let me now you've been here.  Thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment